What To Do When You Lose A Dental Crown
Don’t wait to seek help for a broken or lost dental crown. It’s important to take care of this issue quickly to prevent decay, disease, and pain.
- Call to let us know and schedule an appointment
- In the meantime, chew on the opposite side of your mouth and avoid hard, sticky foods
- Brush thoroughly but gently to keep bacteria at bay until you fix the dental crown
Why Did I Lose My Dental Crown?
- Fell off while eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods
- Knocked loose playing sports or in an impact accident
- Detached on its own — rare but it can happen
Did You Accidentally Or Possibly Swallow Your Crown?
Don’t panic! It’s actually quite common for people to swallow their lost crowns, so there’s no reason to be stressed. Crowns are made of non-toxic material and will pass naturally.
What Happens When You Lose A Crown?
Consider the reason you got the crown in the first place. Was it to protect a cracked/chipped tooth? Save a decaying tooth? As the final step of a root canal or implant? When a lost crown is lost it needs to be replaced quickly to avoid problems with the underlying tooth. Failing to contact your dentist and get a new crown ASAP will increase your risk of the tooth becoming loose, falling out, or developing cracks, fractures, or an infection.
Left untreated, you may eventually need to have the tooth completely removed.
How To Fix A Lost Crown
Contact your dentist immediately. We consider a lost dental crown an urgent matter and will get you an appointment as soon as possible. Your dentist will examine your tooth to ensure no damage has occurred as a result of the lost crown. If you were able to recover the crown and it’s not damaged, it may be able to be reused and placed back on your tooth. Otherwise, a new crown will be custom-crafted and placed.
What not to do:
- Ignore the issue
- Try to glue or adhere the crown back on yourself
- Chew on the side of the mouth with the missing crown
Who Is The Best Dentist In Escondido, CA To See For A Lost Crown?
At TLC Escondido Dental, we offer fast, expert care for broken and lost crowns. Thanks to our CEREC technology, you can get a new permanent, natural-looking, and high-quality dental crown in just a couple of hours. Even better, CEREC eliminates the need for goopy, gaggy impressions.